Conversion optimization isn’t just about tweaking your campaign landing page design or even a few words and form layout. You should measure your lead’s engagement and trust by paying attention to every detail from the first touch point to the very sad moment when the lead converted into a customer decides to use your competitor’s alternative solution (yup, that happens!).
To measure how engaged a visitor or a lead is, you should consider these four scenarios or questions:
- What happens before your lead gets into your funnel?
- What happens when your lead gets into your funnel?
- What happens when your lead converts into a paying customer?
- What happens when you loose a customer?
There are key metrics that will help you to measure the impact of changes on your lead´s engagement:
- Page Bounce Rate: This will tell you how many people land on a specific page and don’t visit any more pages during that visit. The lower this result looks like, the better and more engaged your leads are. How can you get a lower page bounce rate? Well, by creating interesting content that helps your leads engage more time with every content. For example, videos tend to increase the time spent on a page by around two minutes.
- Site Bounce Rate: Is the average bounce rate for all webpages combined. Similar to what usually happens with the page bounce rate, the lower the site bounce rate is, the happier you’ll be. Measuring the lead engagement with the site bounce will give you a general overview of what is happening on your website, while the page bounce rate will maybe tell if a call to action, webform and main content is engaging enough to make your lead react.
- Exit Rate: The exit rate measures the percentage of visitors on any given page that didn’t view more pages. This should be a low number, especially for your those pages that get more traffic. It will show you where your leads lost interest or didn’t find what they expected.
- Goal Completions: Analytical tools like Google Analytics, landing pages solutions like Unbounce or email marketing automation software like ActiveCampaign will help you with this. It reflects how often a page impacts a goal conversion.
- Sales: like any other metric, this really depends on your business model, industry, product/service, pricing. But I think we are on the same page: we all need sales, usually the higher this number is, the better :-).
How Marketing Automation can help you improve your engagement with your leads
Knowing these key metrics won’t take you that far, although it is extremely important to measure your lead engagement. You need to be able to engage with your visitors, leads and customers on every stage. Marketing automation brings a lot of accesible options that will help you connect with them in a way that is relevant for them: when they are prepared to know more about you and when there are ready to buy, which is what we all want.
Marketing automation can help you build strong relationships with every prospect or, at least, with a lot of them. You need to deliver the right message, within the right type of content in the right moment. Talking about marketing automation implies two words: technology + strategy. Personalized marketing is the raising star within any marketing automation software and strategy, since it allows marketers to provide highly targeted content, messages and communications to their identified audiences based on a person’s location, their device, name, choices… Whether a person is an anonymous visitor, a lead who is already in your contacts database, or an existing customer.
This is why measuring lead engagement is so important. You see, a recently Yahoo reported that most consumers believe that personalization provides added relevance: 78% of those surveyed expressed a desire for some type of personalized content. The truth is you are not alone out there. Your visitors, leads and customer will probably have more than you as an options. Actually, there are more than half a billion live websites operating today. That’s why engaging with every lead and customer is important. Personalized content brings deeper connections and creates trust between your offering and your leads and customers.
Personalized Videos as part of your Marketing Automation strategy
One of the type of content with the best conversions and ROI is video. Can you imagine the power of personalization + the power of digital video? Being able to reach every prospect with specific, highly target messages only means one big thing: engagement that helps you close more sales. According to a recent report by Forrester, personalized video has been shown to increase email engagement levels by 10x and raise CTRs by almost 1000%. Yes, you read that correctly: those are three zeros.
Personalized videos are unique videos tailored for and from specific audiences, content or occasions. They are created on the cloud in real-time based on your lead’s data. For example, we use our own solution, Sezion, to create automated engaging personalized videos.
Here is an example of a personalized video used to promote a webinar:
Every lead received a personal video like this a few minutes after the registered for the webinar and during the reminder process.
To be able to succeed in this scenario, your company needs to take care not only of the metrics for measuring lead engagement, but also of what keeps your leads and customers close to every step and content during the sales cycle.