Have you ever wondered why the first thing YouTube asks you to do when you upload a video is to write a title, a description and to add the relevant tags? Customer acquisition relies mostly on one thing: Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Would you like to have a better chance of having your videos appear in search engine results? Then you need to work a little bit more on your video descriptions.
A good video description provides information on what the video is about. It helps your viewers understand what they’ll be watching and it gives the search engines an overview of the content inside the video. Video descriptions are a crucial part to engage viewers and boost search rankings.
When writing effective descriptions for your YouTube videos you need to think about how your potential and desired viewer is going to find your videos. In order to do that, according to aimClear, keyword intent matters, as it influences the likelihood of indexing within search engines like Google or Bing. There are three types of keywords and descriptions:
- Informational: They provide information to the viewer. For example: How to (do something), History of, What is/are, Learn how. This kind of keywords and descriptions get 84% Universal SERPs Intent Query Results.
- Navigational: When there is a clear focus on a URL. For example: Wikipedia.com, Sezion.com, Cnn.com. This kind of keywords and descriptions get 18% Universal SERPs Intent Query Results.
- Transactional: They are action-related. For example: “Buy here” or “Sign up now”. This kind of keywords and descriptions only get 12% Universal SERPs Intent Query Results.
Query intent is an important concept when it comes to videos, as they represent 38% of the overall factors when talking about video SEO. Once you’ve chosen the main keyword (or keywords), you should include it at the beginning of the description, as well as in the video title. For example:
- Video title: How to Use Zapier to Promote Your Blog Posts
- Video description: http://zpr.io/7HJX Learn how to use Zapier to automatically make videos from your latest WordPress blog posts to improve your SEO and promote your content.By connecting Sezion to Zapier, Sezion helps you automatically generate thousands of personalized videos from any content feed in minutes. Get your free Sezion account: http://bit.ly/1wQBmlE.Zapier gives you the power to integrate Sezion with hundreds of other apps to automate your work and create better and more content marketing.Learn more about Sezion:
The keywords—How to Use Zapier—appear in both the title and the description. Also, the description tells you and search engines what is the video about. Writing an effective description may require more than one shot, but it is worth trying. Here you’ll find four easy tips that will help you improve your video SEO:
- Writing an informational video description is the best option. It is more likely to be searched for and returned by search engines like Google in regular search results. Write long and detailed descriptions with keywords.
- Put the most important parts of your description up front.
- Keep your main keyword as close to the beginning of the description as possible.
- Include more relevant keywords from your video that viewers may also search.